This vegan creamy of mushroom soup recipe has the enticing texture of fresh mushrooms and a layer of flavor from a touch of curry.
A couple of years ago, I made Creamy Zucchini & Coconut Milk Soup and Creamy Asparagus Soup with Lemon & Thyme, and learned that light coconut milk adds fantastic texture without a lot of extra fat. And it’s vegan, to boot.
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 oz. crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 5 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup lite coconut milk
- Heat the canola oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, celery and ginger, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender vegetable are tender.
- Stir in the curry powder and corn starch and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Let the soup cool for 10 minutes, then transfer half of the mixture to a blender. Puree until smooth, then pour the mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining soup.
- Stir in the coconut milk and heat for 5 minutes. Serve.
From the kitchen of Cookin Canuck. www.cookincanuck.com