There’s a miracle product on the market these days! It’s a food, it’s a contraceptive, it’s an antibacterial surface cleaner, it’s a deodorizer, it polishes chrome, brass, copper and it removes stains from cutting boards, microwaves and food storage containers! It’s a hair product, it’s an insect repellent and a vitamin C tablet all in one! What is this incredible product? Why it is the humble lemon. Just think of the hundreds of over priced and chemical filled products that are on the market today that do just one of the many jobs the lemon does, and in most cases not as effectively!
I want to take a look in more detail now at the wide variety of amazing benefits that the lemon offers, I’ll bet you there is at least one thing in this article that you could be using right now to make your life easier and save money! Let’s go 🙂
1. Dietary Benefits: Lemon is high in vitamin C, a single Lemon contains 88% of your recommended daily allowance.
Lemons are also full of antioxidants, flavonoids, vitamin B complex, potassium, magnesium, calcium, copper, phosphorus, iron, and fiber. It is low in calories – 29 calories per 100 grams – contains no saturated fats, nor cholesterol. Lemon also has an alkalizing and purifying effect on the blood. Having a good dose of Lemon juice in your diet helps with digestion and constipation, it lowers blood sugar reducing the risk of diabetes, it strengthens your immune system against flus and colds, and consuming lemon juice during pregnancy builds strong bones and teeth of infant. What’s not to like?
2. As a Contraceptive: That’s right, long before the pill, lemon juice was being used as an effective means of birth control. Many ancient cultures used lemons as a contraceptive. In ancient Jewish communities the preferred method of birth control was to soak a sponge in lemon juice and insert it into the vagina, taking advantage of lemon juice’s spermicidal properties. In South East Asian cultures a small lemon was often cut in half and placed inside the vagina and over the cervix blocking the sperm’s access, and killing any sperm that do get past the rind. The famous ladies man Casanova is also said to have employed this highly effective method of birth control.
3. As a Medicine: Countless illnesses, diseases and maladies can be cured or improved by either ingesting lemon juice or applying lemon juice to the skin. Scientific studies have shown having lemon juice as part of your diet reduces the bad cholesterol in the body resulting in a decreased risk of heart disease. Have a problem with gallstones, calcium deposits, kidney stones, or pancreatic stones? The citric acid in lemon juice dissolves them so drink up! Lemons contain compounds called lemonoids which have been shown to stop cell division in cancer cells. Cancers of the mouth, skin, lung, breast, stomach, and colon have been proven to be relieved with the help of lemons. Lemon juice can be applied to cuts and scrapes for quick relief and disinfecting and it works wonders when applied to pimples, acne and blackheads. Lemon also helps with rheumatoid and osteoarthritis, sore throats, bleeding gums, cataracts and more! This is just for starters, if you have anything wrong with you at all, look into lemon as an effective supplementary treatment.
4. As A Deodorizer: Lemon juice’s antibacterial properties kill the odor-causing bacteria under your arms leaving you smelling fresh and, well, lemony. Even the chief executive of an organic skincare line, Jennifer Palmer, told The New York Times that she swipes her under arms with half a lemon every morning! This doesn’t just apply to BO, lemon can be used on the hands to remove strong smells like fish or garlic that stay on the skin for along time. The same goes for bathroom and kitchen surfaces, scrubbing your toilet or kitchen surfaces with lemon juice not only kills more bacteria than other cleaners, it leaves everything smelling fresh and clean! You can even deodorize your refrigerator by leaving half a lemon on a saucer in there, just be sure to change it once per week.
5. As a Cleaner: I touched on it a little a moment ago, lemon juice kills bacteria like nothing else! It’s the surest way to keep your bathroom and kitchen free of germs, microbes and harmful bacteria like salmonella. And unlike the likes of Bleach, Detol and Cif, lemon is totally natural, you can eat it for goodness sake! I wouldn’t like to take a swig of Detol or have a twist of Cif in my tea! Lemon juice is high in citric acid making it an amazing cleaner of metals like copper, brass (not brass plating), chrome and more. Not only this but unlike other products designed to clean metals, lemon does not damage fabric or other items that it might be accidentally dripped on while cleaning the metals. Lemon juice can be used to scrub dirty grills and grates, it removes rust and ink stains from cotton and polyester and it boosts degreasing ability when applied to your dish washing water. It’s also great for cleaning windows and mirrors when mixed with water, you can even clean mineral build up in kettles and pots by boiling a few lemons slices in water and letting the mixture sit for a couple of hours before rinsing. I could go on but I think you get the point!
Read the Full Article over at Rohan7Things