Reposted from @ betterfoodguru Do you like lentils?
I do, they are little nutritional powerhouses, they cook quickly and their flavor is very mild which makes them versatile as heck.
Today’s turmeric Tuesday post uses small black lentils which cook in a snap and have such a great texture!
👉COCONUT CURRY BLACK LENTIL AND POTATO STEW with rice, cilantro and mint
🤘Coconut Curry and Black Lentil and Potato Stew Recipe
Prep: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
1. Put 1/2 lb cleaned small black lentils in a big pot to boil with water about 3 inches above lentil level. Boil for about 20 mins while you prep and cook the other ingredients. You may add in 4 cubed small size potatoes I used russetts but any will do around the 15 min mark to boil as well
2. Sauté in a separate pan with 2tsp olive oil 4 cloves chopped garlic, 2 inches fresh ginger chopped, 1 onion chopped small and 1/4 inch fresh turmeric chopped until all are caramelized well about 5 mins. Add 3 peeled and chopped carrots and 3 baby red bell peppers chopped and salt lightly then cook 3-4 mins
3. Push carrot, onion mix to the side to toast the dry spices. Add 2tsp turmeric, 1T garam masala, 1tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp ground coriander, 1 pinch crushed red pepper and black pepper and cook for 2 mins stirring constantly then add 3T tomato paste and 1 can unsweetened coconut milk and bring to a quick boil then turn off and put aside.
4. Check your lentils. If they are soft add the sauté mixture into the lentils and let simmer for 10 mins. Taste for salt
5. Serve with your fave sides or just a giant bowl and top with copious cilantro and fresh mint.