In South America, as far back as 3000 BC, Chia Seeds (Salvia Hispanica) had been a staple of daily nutrition and commerce in Pre-Columbian societies. In Mayan and Aztec life, the seed was so important, it was incorporated into religious ceremonies and tribal trading, even having the harvest time for the seeds outlined in ancient Aztec calendars. It seems it only took modern day humans another 5000 years to revive the importance for these super seeds which are truly amazing and whose health benefits are still being discovered. It may be the single best all around food!
Consider these facts about Chia seeds:
– 2.5 times more protein than kidney beans
– 3 times the antioxidant strength of blueberries
– 3 times more iron than spinach
– 6 times more calcium than milk
– 7 times more vitamin C than oranges
– 8 times more omega-3 than salmon
– 10 times more fiber than rice
– 15 times more magnesium than broccoli
The Top Benefits of Chia Seeds
1. Lose Weight Without Starving
2. Balance Blood Sugar
3. Add healthy omega-3 oil to your diet
5. Feel more energized all day long
6. Bake with less fat
Do you enjoy making baked goods at home, but hate all the butter and oil that has to go into them? Chia gel can substitute for half the butter in most recipes! The food will bake the same and taste the same (or better) from the addition of the chia gel.
Add age-defying anti-oxidants
Anti-oxidants have been in the news lately due to their super healthy benefits.
Blood Thinning Benefits
The problem of thicker blood can reduce circulation and be the precursor to various heart problems
Because they have a mild taste, the seeds can be added to any variety of meals, said Wayne Coates, author of Chia: The Complete Guide to the Ultimate Superfood. Sprinkle them on yogurt or salad, add them to smoothies or juice, use milled seeds for baking or soak the seeds until they form a gel that can be added to a variety of recipes.