“This very thin book is loaded with lots of powerful information. It is very informative and touches on many topics. If you are a person who wants to change their eating habits, this book will put you on the right track. It also has lots of tasty recipes for you to prepare. You will not be disappointed with this purchase. I brought this book way back in the 90’s and let someone use it and it was never returned. It went out of print and was unable to get another until now. This is a book that should never go out of print.” Customer Review
I have an original copy of this book courtesy of my fathers’ book shelf so I think i’m going to begin studying some of the information within.
* 1 cup split and hulled mung beans
* 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil or organic ghee (Indian clarified butter)
* 1 onion, peeled and diced
* 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
* 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
* 1 Serrano or other hot chile pepper (seeded for a less spicy stew)
* 6 cups homemade turkey, chicken or vegetable stock or water
* 2 cups peeled, seeded and cubed butternut squash (or peeled and diced white or sweet potato)
* 1-2 large carrot, chopped
* 2 cups Swiss chard or collard greens, tough stems removed, and then chopped
* 2-3 teaspoons jaggery or brown sugar
* 2-3 teaspoons garam masala
* 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
* 1 can of organic unsweetened whole coconut milk- optional
* 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste (the amount of salt needed will depend on how salty your stock is)
1. Run cold water over mung beans in a colander. Drain and set aside.
2. Warm coconut oil or ghee in a large pot. Add onion, garlic, ginger and chile pepper and saute until fragrant. Add stock or water.
3. Add the mung beans and the squash, then add the rest of the vegetables and the spices. Stir well to combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally, and adding more liquid if it becomes too thick. Remove from heat when everything is soft and cooked through.
5. Add optional coconut milk and stir well to combine and heat through. Add salt, taste, and adjust seasonings before serving.